Sunday, October 13, 2013

Dovetail Saw Build

I recently completed my first back saw with each and every component made in my shop.  It's a 10-inch dovetail saw with a folded steel back, steel saw bolts and split nuts, and a walnut tote.

I was able to locate plenty of information online about making and sharpening saws.  The more I researched, the more I realized that making a saw really isn't as big a mystery as it first seemed.

I was able to acquire most of the materials locally, with the exception of the saw plate and a saw file.




The bolts and nuts are made from 1/2-inch mild steel rod and two 10-32 machine screws.  These are my own take on the Poor Boy Split Nuts from the Norse Woodsmith.


The steel back was made from a piece of 3/4-inch 14-gage steel angle I got at Lowe's.  Folding the back was probably the most challenging part of the build.  I found information on how to do this at Logan Cabinet Shoppe.

 The pattern for the open tote was found at Blackburn Tools.  I did modify the cheek portion and bolt placement to better fit this particular saw and I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out.

 Here is part one of a three part video on building the saw.  Still editing parts two and three but hope to have them up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment